Note: GenSoftReviews recently ceased operations. Clicking on the image will take you to an archive of the TNG reviews posted through Apr 2023.
TNG sample pages:
- Descent Tracker
- "What's New"
- "Most Wanted"
- Dates & Anniversaries
- Family Chart
- Family Group
- Access Log
"This program is a winner!"
Dick Eastman, Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter.
If you've been looking for an easy way to put your family tree online while keeping full control, TNG is for you!
Don't have a website yet? We can help with that. If you've already got a site that offers PHP and MySQL, you can set up and run TNG with very little effort.
Don't settle for ancient site creation methods that generate hundreds of HTML pages, or for freeware solutions that don't come with any support. Get TNG today!
- GEDCOM Import/Export: No need to retype everything.
- Search: Easy lookup by name, or advanced search on dates, places and more.
- Dynamic Charts: Pedigree, descendants, relationship, timeline, family group, etc.
- Clean, Easy to Read: One person per page, sensible layout, clear navigation.
- Surname and First Name Lists: Quickly display your main lines alphabetically and by popularity.
- Customizeable: Choose from 21 free design templates, or purchase one from a third party
- Security: Create users with various rights, protect living/private data.
- Media: Upload and link photos, histories, videos, you name it.
- Administration: Manage everything from a central admin menu.
- Backup/Restore: Safeguard your data, recover from disaster.
- Multiple Trees: Host more than one GEDCOM at a time.
- Strong Support: Make use of a forum, a wiki and two mailing lists, or ask the author.
- Much More: Google Maps, LDS data supported, Cemeteries, Dates & Anniversaries, "What's New", etc. etc.! See a more complete feature list here.
What's New for 2023:
- Media Enhancements: Many improvements have been made in the way TNG handles photos and other media. For example, image tags may now point to places, families, sources, repositories and citations (in addition to people), and they can also be just a label (any text or name), which can optionally point to any URL. DOC and DOCX files can now be viewed inline instead of being automatically downloaded
- Chart Improvements: Zoom and drag functions have been added to several more charts. Also, birth and death years are now displayed on the fan chart.
- GEDCOM Import Improvements: Internal updates have made the process much more robust, and support for some GEDCOM 7.0 features has been added. Media included with a zipped GEDCOM file can now be extracted at the time of import.
- Admin Menu Redesigned: The look and feel of the Admin home page has been modernized. Menu items are larger, and excess text has been removed. The redundant left-side menu has been removed, and rotating banner images display at the top.
- Search: The submit button on the Advanced Search page will now stay in a fixed position so you never have to scroll to find it. Most search fields have also been widened, and the "Other events" list starts off as collapsed, but the form remembers ones you have used before and sorts those at the top.
- Connections: The Relationship tab has been supplemented by an advanced relationship/connection search, powered by the Connections mod (by Michal Jarocinski). This will allow you to quickly find more connections between two individuals, including those that include one or more marriages/pairings along the way.
- General Style Upgrades: Many elements have been updated to produce a softer, more modern look and feel for all pages, both public and admin.
- Descendant Tables: Jim Graham's Table of Descendants mod has been incorporated. Visitors will see a "Tables" option on the Descendants tab. Click through to see a tabular list of all descendants for a particular individual. Choose any row to instantly list all individuals from that generation.
- Report Generator Overhaul: The report builder interface has been redesigned to be more modern, easier to use, and more functional on mobile.
- Backups: Backups can now be created as SQL files (the old method will still be supported) and can be downloaded more easily.
- Additional Genders: Other gender choices can now be entered on the Admin/People pages.
- Alternate Birth Events: A list of acceptable "alternate birth event types" can now be maintained in the settings, and users may choose the alternate birth event for each individual from the Edit Person page.
- Compatibility: Pro-active changes will make sure TNG remains compatible with the latest versions of PHP and MySQL.
- Plus more than 90 other fixes and improvements! See a complete list of all changes here.
See a demonstration right now!
Also works on sites created with WordPress.org! [Note: Free sites created on WordPress.com don't support PHP or MySQL]
Need a Website?
If you're just getting started and need a low-cost hosting provider who supports PHP/MySQL, I recommend Simply Hosting, for only $4.99/month (or less if you pay annually). They're very friendly to TNG users and will even install TNG for you at no extra charge. Plus, they'll give TNG users 50% off their first order!
Here's another option you might look at:
For an inexpensive hosting provider specializing in genealogy, I also recommend TNGSiteHosting (by EASY Solutions, a different company), starting at $3.99/month (annual payment). You can get TNG pre-installed, plus both technical and application support for TNG and genealogical questions (GEDCOM, reporting, publishing and more):
If those options won't work for you, try doing a web search for "php mysql web hosting". You can choose any host, so long as they support PHP and MySQL.
"Please add me to your list of happy and very satisfied users. Look at http://www.kloosterman.be and everybody can see for themselves why I am so satisfied with your TNG program. A great genealogy program, very fast, well done, with a lot of possibilities and of course the languages. I'm getting a lot of compliments about my site. I always refer them to you Darrin and tell them that without your excellent program, after sale service, support and your help with the TNG scripts I could not have made such a professional looking website. It is the best program I have seen yet for genealogical websites and the price is a bargain!! You can quote me on that!"
Cees Kloosterman, The Kloosterman Genealogy at http://www.kloosterman.be
"I am over the moon with the program — I just love it !!"
Bray & McGilvery Ancestry
Note: GenSoftReviews recently ceased operations. Clicking on the link will take you to an archive of the TNG reviews posted through Apr 2023.